Tuesday, May 20, 2008

10 pounds lost after six seasons

The end of season 6 proved to be a landmark - 10 pounds lost on the walk. In some respects this is far from impressive. It's taken an incredible 107 hours on the treadmill spread over nearly five months, walking 377 miles to lose this weight. There are certainly faster, less time consuming ways to lose 10 pounds. But I doubt there are many that are more enjoyable.

My daily 45 minute walks are anything but a chore. I'm walking at a brisk pace (3.5 mph) up a fairly steep incline (6%) which is enough to get me sweating, but not really enough to get uncomfortably out of breath. And its a darn sight easier than jogging -- which I used to do in front of the TV -- where I'd be counting down every minute until it was over. Surprisingly in 5 months I've never woken up and thought "oh no, I've got to get on that treadmill again" because at this pace watching the X-Files episodes is the primary activity, and the walking is something that happens in the background.

Oh, and I should also reiterate that this 10 pound loss can in no way be attributed to a change in diet. I still eat as badly as ever. Yesterday I munched through a large packet of M&Ms, a chocolate bar, and drank two glasses of wine. Burgers, pizza, cheese sandwiches, ice cream -- all the bad habits remain exactly as they have been before.

Watch X-Files. Lose weight. Who knew?!

No comments: